The goal for this page is to be a place where we can see examples of incidents others have handled and learn from them. Comment on what was done well, ideas for the future, etc. Remember not to use real names. Maintain confidentiality.
Please feel free to add incidents, I just recently came across this information and thought it may be helpful to some…
- SOME TIPS ON HOW TO DEAL WITH CONFLICT:
- Ask those who disagree to paraphrase one another's comments. This may help them learn if they really understand each other
- Work out a compromise. Agree on the underlying source of conflict, then engage in a give and take and finally agree on a situation.
- Ask each member to list what the other side should do. Exchange lists, select a compromise all are willing to accept and test the compromise to see if it meshes with team goals.
- Have each side write 10 questions for their opponents. This will allow them to signal their major concerns about the other side's position. And the answers may lead to a compromise.
- Convince team members they sometimes may have to admit they're wrong. Help them save face by convincing them that changing a position shows strength.
- Respect the experts on the team. Give their opinions more weight when the conflict involves their expertise, but don't rule out conflicting opinions.